Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Team Care Force Spotlight: Hugh Harlow



My name is Hugh Harlow, and I am originally from Easton, Massachusetts, which is about 30 minutes south of Boston. After graduating from Oliver Ames High School, I attended The George Washington University where I graduated with a B.A. in History and a Minor in Africana Studies. Last year, I served as a City Year Corps Member on the Foundations Young Heroes Team in New Orleans, Louisiana. Our program engaged 20 middle school idealists who learned how to become leaders and more engaged citizens. Other than community service, my interests include playing sports, specifically basketball and soccer. I am passionate about improving race relations in the United States, and feel that we can do so by giving all ethnic groups proper credit for their contributions to our society. Furthermore, I am a music enthusiast whose tastes include Hip Hop, classic R&B, Reggae, Soul, Jazz and Brass Band music. I love to travel, and have been to over 40 states. I have also done a bit of international traveling, as well.


This year as a member of Team Care Force, I have improved my management skills while learning other practical skills. Care Force has been a blessing. It has taught me numerous skills in fields such as carpentry, painting, landscaping and gardening. I was initially drawn to Care Force due to its close proximity to my home and because of my desire to travel and organize large scale community service projects. Care Force has proven an excellent vehicle to develop my organizational, leadership and public speaking skills. The best part about my service this year is working with and befriending so many inspirational Corps Members around the network. After Care Force, I plan to continue work in the education and non-profit sector through teaching or working at a non-profit in a staff capacity. So far, this year has been amazing because I know that I have left a tangible, positive impact on various communities throughout the United States. If you have any questions you can get a hold of me at Hharlow08@cityyear.org. Peace.

No comments: