Friday, October 22, 2010

Team Care Force- Dan Nemiroff

Team Care Force
Senior Corps Member,
Dan Nemiroff
Each week we will post a new "Care Force Chronicle" detailing one of our service events that Care Force will lead this year, written by a member of the senior corps. We will also be posting a short personal bio so you can read a little more about each of the senior corps members. This week's bio covers Daniel Nemiroff, as he has written the Care Force Chronicle covering the Aramark event in Denver, Colorado.

Daniel Nemiroff

My name is Dan Nemiroff. I am 23 years old and am proud to serve with Team Care Force this year. I was born and raised in San Francisco, California and attended San Francisco public schools from elementary through high school. My elementary school was a Spanish immersion school, and I started learning Spanish at the age of 6. I continued to speak Spanish throughout my educational career, and still consider myself bilingual. I have played sports for as long as I can remember, and played baseball for the Lowell High team, where I grew close to my best friends in the world. I also have a passion for music, and played trumpet in a couple of different bands in high school. I graduated from the University of California, Davis in 2009 with a degree in International Relations. While in college, I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad for a semester in Santiago, Chile, where I studied politics and had an internship at a micro-finance organization.

After graduating college, I decided to apply to City Year, and had the pleasure of serving as a Senior Corps Member with City Year Miami as part of the 09-10 corps. In Miami, I served as part of the Young Heroes team, working with middle school students from all over Miami Dade County. Running the Young Heroes program was a huge challenge for our team last year. We found it to be really difficult to convince middle schoolers, who had no clue who we were to commit their Saturdays to doing community service. Despite these challenges, our team worked tirelessly to achieve our goals, and lead an amazing program for the incredible students who came out to serve with us. There is no chance that our team could have succeeded in running the Heroes program without working together. Though there were times when we disagreed or found it difficult to work together, we learned to respect each other and work through our differences. Eventually, we grew close, and used each other’s strengths to grow as individuals. Teamwork played a huge factor to my first year with City Year. In Miami, I also learned the importance of remaining positive and making an effort to enjoy the work that I was doing. As a team, we discovered that making the long hours in the office enjoyable and fun made our work easier. Our team’s positive attitude resonated to all aspects of our work, and made our program fun and upbeat for everyone involved.

I am incredibly excited to be a part of Team Care Force and continue serving with City Year, an organization that is full of great people who want to make some positive change in our society. Working on service projects throughout the country will allow me to develop on a personal and professional level. I hope to improve my ability to think in a precise, detailed way, and to be able to think of all possible outcomes of a project ahead of time. I also hope to gain a new set of skills regarding physical service. Knowing how to use certain tools, and when to use them is a skill that I am looking forward to developing. Furthermore, serving with Team Care Force gives me the amazing chance to travel the country and see and meet new people and communities. Traveling is one of my passions, and this opportunity is one I cannot wait to take advantage of!

No comments: