Monday, January 26, 2009

Team Care Force Spotlight: Allison Goldstein


Hello! My name is Allison Leah Goldstein, I’m 24 and from Centerville, OH. After high school I moved to Ann Arbor to complete my BS in Zoological Anthropology with a minor in Spanish from the University of Michigan. Last year I served with City Year Philadelphia, working in Mr. Berry’s 6th grade classroom. I love adrenaline rushes, laughing, meeting new people and good food with good friends. Luckily, I have the best friends and family in the world and they support me in everything I do!

I joined Care Force for a variety of reasons. The travel aspect really appealed to me, and I really wanted to learn about event planning and useful skills, such as how to build a picnic table from scratch. My favorite service project thus far has got to be our project with T-Mobile at Adam’s Elementary School in Tampa, Florida. I was in charge of building a HUGE outdoor stage - a project that had never been attempted before. We were hoping for the best, but didn’t really know if it was reasonable to expect it to be completed by the end of the day. However, my volunteers, almost all large males, rocked it out and decided that there was no way they were leaving without finishing. You could hear the sound of 30 hammers all frantically pounding like a thunderstorm during the beginning of the closing ceremonies, but halfway through the ceremony the sound ceased and the stage was DONE! It was pretty incredible!

I hope to use this year as an in to becoming Usher’s personal tour advisor. Just Kidding. However, this year will be extremely instrumental to my future success in almost every job I can think of. First of all, I am learning invaluable leadership techniques, how to work with diverse groups of people, flexibility and time management skills. In addition, I have gained skills in everything from wood cutting to painting to public speaking and setting up AV equipment. Basically, you name it, I’ve probably done it. So, I hope to be able to leverage these skills and experiences to further follow my passions.

As of now I really couldn’t tell you what city I’ll be in next year, let alone what I’ll be doing. My hopes are to find a position either within a foundation, student service learning or working with international exchange students. Grad school to follow at some point.

No comments: