Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Team Care Force 2011

Care Force is proud to introduce the members of Team Care Force 2011!

These eight young idealists that will be traveling the country to engage our corporate partners in large-scale, high impact community service events. The members of our fourth team of senior corps are:

Florence Capinding from Hemet, CA and served at City Year Rhode Island
Aundrea Dean from Forest Park, OH and served at City Year Los Angeles
Emily Kean from Barrington, IL and served at City Year San Antonio
Steadman Graves from Boston, MA and served at City Year Boston
Georgia Lawrence from Middletown, RI and served at City Year Louisiana
Dylan Morrill from Newmarket, NH and served at City Year Little Rock
Dan Nemiroff from San Francisco, CA and served at City Year Miami
Phillip St. Clair from Raleigh, NC and served at City Year San Jose
Ken Wakwe, Program Manager, from Little Rock, AR & Team Care Force Alum





Each week we will post a new "Care Force Chronicle" detailing one of our service events that Care Force will lead this year, written by a member of the senior corps. We will also be posting a short personal bio so you can read a little more about each of the senior corps members. This week's bio covers Dylan Morrill, as he has written tomorrow's Care Force Chronicle covering the CSX & Care Force service event in Riverdale, Illinois.

Dylan Morrill
My name is Dylan Morrill. I am 19 years old and originally from the small town of Newmarket, on the seacoast of New Hampshire. My parents, Carole and Chris, were great parents to me, as well as my two brothers, Ryan and Tyler. I graduated from Newmarket High School in 2009. I’m an avid soccer player and fan. In the fall of 2011, I plan to go to college to earn my undergraduate degree.

After graduating from high school, I served my first year with City Year in Little Rock, Arkansas as a Corps Member on a 10 person Whole School Whole Child team. As a team we tutored and mentored at an under-served elementary school. The year was hard, and in turn, very rewarding. I quickly discovered that the hard work I did, did not just affect me, or my resume; it affected the future of the kids in my school. If I did not do a good job on something, I would not get a bad grade; instead, the kids just would not get the education they deserve. If I did a good job on something, there would be no A’s, instead there would be smiling faces. Finding out the potential that comes with the realization that holding your own standards creates the best product is the most valuable thing I learned during my year in Little Rock.

This year I am no longer tutoring in an underprivileged elementary school in Little Rock Arkansas. Instead, I am flying around the country helping to lead large scale community service projects as a member of Team Care Force. This year I will lead volunteers in the implementation of service projects. Doing this, I hope to become an excellent leader and I hope to make a tangible difference in the lives of people all over the country; all while experiencing America from the lens of an ambitious 19 year old.

No comments: