Monday, September 27, 2010

Team Care Force - Emily Kean

Read this short, personal bio to learn more about one of the senior corps members on Team Care Force. This week's bio covers Emily Kean, as she has written the upcoming Care Force Chronicle covering the T-Mobile event in New York City, New York.


Team Care Force
Senior Corps Member,
Emily Kean
Emily Kean

My name is Emily Kean and I am 23 years old. I am originally from Barrington, IL, a northwest suburb of Chicago. While growing up, I had many opportunities to volunteer in Chicago and attend mission trips in the summer. Serving others has been an interest of mine from a young age and it drove me to study social work during college. It was during my junior year at the University of Iowa when I first heard of City Year. I went on a poverty immersion trip to learn about economic human rights, and how poverty affects individuals and their communities. On this trip, I had the opportunity to observe City Year Philadelphia during their Camp City Year, which offers students a fun and safe place to go during spring break. After witnessing the impact City Year had on the students and the community it worked in I decided I wanted to serve after graduating college. This is what brought me to City Year. After graduating from the University of Iowa with a BA in social work, I moved to San Antonio, TX to serve with City Year.

I served my corps year at City Year San Antonio on the MLK Academy Whole School, Whole Child Team. During the day our team would tutor 6th, 7th, and 8th graders in math as well as run after school programs. As well as serving in a school I also served as a team leader for our Young Heroes Team and helped to plan large scale service days on the MLK Service Day Committee and the Kingdom for Kids Playground Build committee.

The work City Year does is important because it builds corps members to be young leaders that in turn, help urban areas strengthen their community and support educational attainment with at-risk youth. City Year chooses to build community, provide strength to students, and a positive attitude for those students we work with. As a corps member, City Year has helped me to improve my leadership skills and develop professionally so I can go confidently into the world to make positive changes.

I am very excited to be serving as a senior corps member on Team Care Force. This year I hope to gain more experience with leading adult volunteers, planning large scale service events, and becoming a more decisive leader. I look forward to traveling around the United States and getting to work with new groups of people on every trip. I believe this year will push me to become more independent and flexible. Most importantly though, Team Care Force will help me serve communities and share with them the power of service and City Year.

No comments: